Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Framing in the Kitchen

Well as you can see out across the street neighbor, Matt Butcher is rehabbing his house too. It is a bit of a controversy on the block because he wants to add a full third floor and some people think that would kill the view for people on our side of the block. I have not made up my mind on the matter. I don't want to tell him what to do, but I don't want to lose $10k or more if our precious “water view” goes away. I don’t know what will happen. If too many people say nay, he can’t build it. Right now I have too many things on my plate to try to bother with it.

As far as our house is concerned … We spent much of the weekend trying to sort out the kitchen and back wall. The last joist in the house was totally shot, so we pulled it out. We have not put a new one back just yet. We spent a lot of time fixing holes in the wall. It is a tedious process of finding bricks that match, then mortaring them in.

We also started to replace the back window. We took out the old window, but that caused the cinder blocks on top of it to fall in. We had to rebuild the cinder blocks so that we could install the new window. The cinder blocks have been replaced, but we have not replaced the window just yet.

The biggest issue now is doors. The city inspector has insisted that one door has to be at least 36 inches wide and all other doors are 32 inches wide. Currently the back door is 29 inches and the front is 30 inches. It won’t be too hard to change the front to 32, but changing the back to 36 will not be easy. I don’t like it but just want to do so we can move on. I have been talking with a neighbor who just did the same thing. It is not very reassuring, because my biggest fear, that the wall will fall down, happened to him. I friend of mine, Joe came up with a scheme that should work to keep it from falling in. The only real problem now is that we need to move the electrical box, before we do the work. I think we will try to get the electrical contractor to move the box ASAP. The only problem is we don’t know who that will be.

No comments: